Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh how the time has flown...

Well June is officially over...happy July!

I'm sure you've noticed that I've been a bit M.I.A. as of late...well that's because I was out of town. I went to Michigan and NYC.

It was nice spending my birthday in Michigan with my family. Owen was a great person to hang out with on my birthday (see previous post).

A couple days after, Melissa and I flew out to NYC. Unfortunately Melissa was sick, so it wasn't the best of trips for her, but I think she still managed to have a good time!

Here's what we did:

Day 1-Delayed at the airport. Getting into NYC is always a pain. Once we arrived at LGA, my old roomie Kelly picked us up in a Zipcar and took us to her place. That evening she made us a lasagna dinner and Odile came over. It was nice to see Odile...hard to believe we had gone 2 years without seeing each other.

Day 2-Melissa and I ventured into the city. We bummed around Times Sq and saw what was going on. Then we met Kelly and Odile for lunch at Suzies. After our bellies were full we went to the Harry Potter exhibit. It was really cool to see the props and costumes from the actual movies. We all took turns throwing quaffles as well. The most interesting part was to see how tiny the costumes were...especially from the first movie to the most recent...they were such tiny little kids when they started! Then we headed into SOHO. Melissa and I bought way too much from UNIQLO, but it was soooo worth it! You just can't get their stuff anywhere else! Who wouldn't want to be stylish? Then in the evening we went and saw "The Motherf*cker with the Hat" on Broadway. The actors, Bobby Cannavale, Chris Rock, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Annabella Sciorra and Yul Vázquez, were really good, but the show itself was just okay. The actors were better than the script!

Day 3-Melissa wasn't feeling well at all so she took the day off and rested. I headed into the city and went to my favorite Old Navy...again I bought way too much, but the deals were just soooo good! When I can buy work clothes for less than $10 a piece, I get excited...plus people had given me gift cards for my bday which was awesome!! Then I went to the NHL store and got some cute official Red Wings t-shirts. Then I met Odile at the Cowgirl Hall of Fame restaurant. We met up with our friends Jim & Jill. It was super great to see them! They've always been incredible sweet to me! After lunch, we went up on the Highline...I only walked with them a short ways, because I had to head back to Kelly's to pick up Melissa. Then Melissa and I went to Grand Central to meet Odile and Dalia. Then we headed up to New Rochelle to Mike & Dalia's place. We played Apples to Apples while Mike made us dinner. It was a great time! Mike & Dalia are definitely two of the best people in my life!

Day 4-Melissa wanted to see the Highline, so I took her back there. At first we were going to do the Highline tour, but the tour guide didn't speak loud enough and it made it really boring when you can't hear... So, we decided to just walk it on our own. When we first started out, there were tons of secret service people and chaos...turns out the Prince & Princess of Belgium were on the Highline. We saw them as they were leaving. It was cool! Then we ate lunch in a diner before heading back to Kelly's to get ready for a wedding. My friend Eric was getting married on a boat in the Hudson. It was definitely an interesting wedding. I think we all had fun even though the bride apparently hates me! lol...so true...

Day 5-We went to Church at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Because it was Corpus Christi Sunday, there were a ton of seminarians at Mass. Melissa and I both found many of them attractive...too bad they're committed to the cloth... ;) Then we tried to get into the lottery for the show "Book of Mormon" but there were just way too many people...so we lost. Instead we went to TKTS and got discounted tix to see Zarkana (a brand new Cirque du Soleil show premiering at Radio City). The acts in the show were good...the singing was AWFUL! One song made us both cringe...the lady essentially screamed for 5 minutes. After the show, we headed down to Chinatown. Melissa bought herself some cheap jewelry. Then we went to Little Italy to our favorite store where I bought pashminas for my co-workers and Melissa bought herself some sunglasses! We ate a yummy meal there before heading up to Washington Sq Park. Because it was gay pride weekend, we saw some interesting sights! It was fun!

Day 6-Kelly and I went to lunch at a diner while Melissa hung out with a friend. Then I took Kel to the library to see the 100 years exhibit while we waited for Melissa to meet up with us again! Then Melissa and I went up to Central Park and walked up from Columbus Circle to the reservoir! Then we rode a bus down the Madison Square Park so Melissa could see this summer's installation art (a giant head)! Then we walked down to Union Square and met Odile and her mom for some chocolate at Max Brenners!

Day 7-Flew from NYC to Detroit. Then we all ate dinner, played some ladder golf, and ate cake before I drove back to KY.

All in all it was a great trip, but I'm exhausted! Work has been crazy since I've been back, but all in all it was great!

4 comments:

  1. Wow you were in NYC for a long time! Your vacation package at work must rock.

    What's UNIQLO?

    Also why did you buy Wings gear in NYC AND at the NHL store. The NHL is the enemy. You should have bought it in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNIQLO is an awesome store...similar to a Japanese H & M...sort of the best description I can give it!

    And the NHL is not evil. The NFL and MLB are far more evil in the scheme of things! Plus it was the vintage gear and I had a coupon for being from out of town, so I got discounted merch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NHL is evil to the Wings. Gary Bettman is determined to see them lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wings need to play better if they want to win. Also, yes, Gary Bettman is not the best leader of the NHL, but he's what we got...so we'll have to deal!

    ReplyDelete