So this weekend I was consumed in figure skating. I always watch the U.S. Nationals...to the point where I can't actually remember a year I didn't watch them!
Ashley Wagner won the women's competition which was a surprise because she has the reputation of being an "almost girl". She usually ends up in 4th just off of the podium. However, this time there was a spark in her skating that hasn't been there in the past. Although her program wasn't perfect, it was a delight to see her skate with emotion and amazing choreography!
The real winner of everything, though, was Jeremy Abbott. He's always been a great skater, but his nerves and the pressure of competition usually cause him to screw up royally. Last year he just threw it all away. It was painful to watch. This year was different. His short program was brilliantly choreographed! He skated with ease and was in first. Then with the long program today, he just blew my mind. He reminded me of what makes skating so great!
All too often these days it seems like you're watching the same program over and over and over again since most of the skaters just want to get the moves in to score points. Doing so usually sacrifices the integrity of the artistry of a program.
I just want to thank Jeremy Abbott for his performance today. Each move flowed into the next with such fluidity that I held my breath. Every movement he made had a purpose and it resulted with one of the most beautiful skates I've seen since the likes of Brian Boitano and Kristi Yamaguchi! Abbott was rewarded as well--he finished in first and set a new record for the highest scores ever! He did the Detroit Skating Club proud.
Thank you, Jeremy Abbott for making me cry. Your performance was truly touching and it lifted my spirits in ways, that no one, but a true figure skater would understand.
No comments:
Post a Comment